Monday, October 13, 2014

Some Finishing Touches


It has been a while since I posted much.  After the initial flurry of work and large projects that were being done, the finishing touches took much longer to complete (and some are still a work in progress.) I thought it was time to update and share what things look like now.  In one and a half months, we will have lived here a year.  *Note:  These are all iPhone photos, so the quality is not fantastic, but I am a busy momma.*



Family Room

I spent a lot of time not knowing what to do with our built-ins.  The art nook was so large and the shelves just adjacent to it really had the potential to make the room look over-cluttered.  I was struggling for a long time to make it look put together, but still crisp and clean with a little bit of fun.  

We had this photo of our family enlarged and printed on canvas at Great Big Canvas.  The lighting is from Restoration Hardware and the sectional sofa is from Macy's.  The chevron rug is from Rugs USA.  
A closer look at the shelving and nook.
One thing I did to keep the look clean was to buy a large roll of white butcher paper and wrap hardback books from the local Goodwill Book Store.  It was a cool way to add height to some of the smaller design elements that I had found as well.  


Panoramic from the kitchen to the family room.


Kitchen

We added a lot of glass front cabinets up high that I struggled with for a long time.  The contractor was supposed to install lighting in these cabinets, but he never completed it and it is too difficult to do retroactively.  Many of the things that I tried to put up there looked to dark and things weren't working well.  One day, I stumbled across this article on Facebook about a woman who spry painted cheap glass objects from the dollar store to create cheap centerpieces.  I decided that this could be an easy way to find objects that looked cohesive in so many glass windows.  I gave it a try and the results were great. 
( Pendant lighting from Pottery Barn)
These are all random items front the Dollar Tree spray painted.  The job took one day and I have had so many compliments on it.  Everyone is shocked when I tell them that these are all from the Dollar Tree and the project only cost around $30.  (Unfortunately, between the dark evening hours and the reflection from the glass, my photos aren't turning out great.)  More info about the kitchen available in this previous post.

Living Room

The living room is my favorite room in the house.  I feel so relaxed and refreshed when I am in here.  I sit in this room every day when Little Two is napping and I pull myself back together after ran me ragged all morning.  
This room is a breath of fresh air, if you ask me!  Ahhh!  
As mentioned in previous posts, we added the coffered ceiling detail, painted the cabinets and had new doors and shelves made, painted the walls (Sherwin Williams Ice Cube) and added new wood-look tile flooring in this room.  
Chairs are from Overstock.   Little Two is not for sale…yet.
Coffee table is from Wayfair.  Rug from Rugs USA.

This is the first thing you see when you enter our home.  The ceiling turned out to be such an statement when you walk in.

The light.  Can we just talk about the light?  I am head over heels for the funk and fun this light brings to the room.  Something more traditional would have made this room classic, but definitely a little stuffy.  This light adds just the right amount of fun to the room, in my opinion.  The polyhedron light is from Restoration Hardware.

Panoramic from dining room to living room

Dining Room

Chandelier and sconces are Quoizel from Wayfair

Pass through/bar

Master Bath

Panoramic of master bath.  More info on the bathroom in this previous post.


4 comments:

  1. Is your counters granite or quartz? Also what color for both the island and the perimeter? thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The perimeter countertops are quartz. They are Caeserstone Pebble. The island is Carrara marble.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What color did you use for walls and baseboards?

    ReplyDelete
  4. What color did you use for walls and baseboards?

    ReplyDelete